Saturday, August 4, 2007

Northern Delicacy

If you've noticed, I tend to go out to eat on the weekends the most. It's like a tradition, almost. I would sometimes go out to eat for brunch and then head over to church, but I usually go out to eat dinner. It was just my dad and I today. We left church shortly after 4:30PM and headed in the direction of what I called, the Asian food city. Which is, Richmond, technically speaking. I would suggest those who visit BC, Canada to go to Richmond for food and down town Vancouver for shopping. Then again, it depends what you're in the mood for. Since my dad had an errand to take care off at Aberdeen Center, we decided to have dinner there instead of going for a Japanese place. There's a few restaurants there and a food court with a wide variety to choose from. Since I wanted to eat something light and less salty, it was only obvious to choose Northern Delicacy.

Getting right to it, my dad ordered two side dishes and this Szechuan Beef Noodle in Soup.



The noodles were handmade and knowing from my previous experience, the noodles has a good bite feel to it. Meaning, it's not hard or soft and at the same time it's a got a good chew-ability. It has a slight kick to it, but the soup is filled with rich flavors. It has both beef and the tendon, some vegetables, topped off with a bit of chopped green onions. I decided to order something new, the Tender Chicken Noodle in Soup.



The portion was slightly larger than what my dad had. Again, the noodles are all hand made. Overall, the taste was pretty good and the chicken was indeed, tender. If you're thinking the chicken looks a bit raw, I can assure you that I'm still alive and kicking. It may look like it's raw, but it's just dark meat. However, the noodles were overcooked and the soup was quite salty. Even though, I wanted something that wasn't too salty. It didn't taste that light in flavor, but the chicken taste in the soup made up for it. I really liked the idea of chopped bak choy instead of leaving it whole and any one who has eaten a whole bak choy, knows what I'm talking about. Presentation wise, the chopped bak choy does nothing to help. One of our side dish is, Xiao Long Bao.



You have no idea how much I love eating Xiao Long Bao. Basically, they are steamed pork dumplings and these tiny delicate morsels are packed with flavorful juices. Today, the skin was a bit thick, but only just a slight bit. Never the less, they were still good. Usually, you would eat it with a bit of vinegar. Their vinegar is so aromatic and enticing for the appetite. There's variations of the Xiao Long Bao as well. The best variation I've ever had is with a bit of crab meat stuffed inside the dumplings. Those were just heavenly to consume. The other side dish we ordered was pan fried pork dumplings. They weren't that appealing so i didn't take a picture. They are a different size and shape steamed pork dumpling and pan fried on the bottom. They tasted pretty good, but the skin was really thick. Despite, having such a thick skin, the flavor of the skin was really good.



Locations:

Aberdeen Center
4151 Hazelbridge Way
Richmond, BC
(SW Corner of Hazelbridge Way & Cambie Rd.)
1-604-270-1234
http://www.aberdeencentre.com

Northern Delicacy
Unit 2788, Aberdeen Centre
4151 Hazelbridge Way
Richmond, British Columbia
V6X 4J7
1-604-233-7050
http://www.northern-delicacy.com

No comments: