Sunday, September 23, 2007

Naan Bread!

My dad was telling me how he would always smell this wonderful aroma every time he passes by this Indian restaurant on his way to meet up with his friend. So, we decided to give it a try. This would be my third time trying Indian Cuisine. We ordered quite a few items, so we could take the leftovers home for the rest of the family to try. Although, my mother didn't seem to like it.



The first thing to come was a complimentary item. I can only describe it as Cumin Wafers. Since I'm not a huge fan of cumin, this item wasn't too strong in cumin flavor and it was a bit salty. Served with a sweet and mild Chili Sauce.



Here we have, Prawn Pakora. It was quite tasty and had a nice mild kick to it. The texture of the batter was soft and airy, with a bit of crunch on the outside. It was served with a Chili Sauce and a Lime Citrus Sauce, I believe.



I call this the Tandoori Combo, but it's really called Tandoori Dinner. It's just a variety of tandoori items served with a Butter Chicken Sauce, but without the chicken inside the sauce. There's chicken, lamb and fish with julienne green bell peppers and onions. The lamb was done two ways. One was ground lamb kebab pieces and the other was boneless lamb that's been cubed and marinated over night. The ground lamb kebab pieces and the fish were my favorite.



Everyone should try Butter Chicken if they go for Indian Cuisine. It is a must try. The sauce is not oily from the butter and it has a bit too much tomato flavor in it, but it's still tasty. However, I've had better Butter Chicken. The sauce is good, but the chicken isn't infused enough with the flavors of the sauce. It needs more marinating time.



You've got to have Rice to go along with Butter Chicken. I believe they said it was Basmati Rice. It has a nice texture.



Naan Bread is also another must have. Their Naan bread was so good. The elasticity and texture of the bread was excellent. I would have been happy with just Naan Bread and the Butter Chicken Sauce. Does anyone know any place that serves really good saffron rice? I've had saffron rice once and it was pretty good, but I don't remember where I had it.



Location:

Tandoori Kona
#170 - 11700 Cambie Plaza (Cambie Road & No. 5 Road)
Richmond, BC
V6X 1L5
1-604-279-9259

No comments: