Monday, October 29, 2007

An interesting Discovery

It's Saturday and we're always thinking of where we want to go for our meal. Either for lunch or dinner and since I did an entry of what I had at Happy King Seafood Restaurant before, I won't blog about my lunch on Saturday because I ordered the same thing. Fast forwarding to night time, my dad and I wandered aimlessly around Richmond and we were always caught in by the heavy traffic on the No. 3 Road with all the construction happening there. It's quite understandable when the 2010 Winter Olympics event is nearing that people are rushing to finish Canada Line and among other things, as well.

We found ourselves parked at the Save-On-Foods parking lot and ready to go try this small Shanghai restaurant, but only to find out it's packed and there was a line of people waiting to be seated. So we decided to walk across the street to check out Ebisu. My dad scanned the restaurant from outside and decided he wasn't in the mood for Japanese Cuisine. There are numerous restaurants around like White Spot, Nando's Chicken and other smaller Chinese restaurant. When we were just about to stop looking for something different and go to White Spot, we saw a restaurant filled with people eating Xiao Long Bao. There was still some empty tables so we decided to go and try this place out.

Upon walking into this restaurant called Dinesty, I was quickly intrigued by the servers. Some of them were wearing bunny ears/tails and some were wearing butterfly wings. My thought was, "could this be a cosplay cafe?" I'm not sure it is since they didn't wear any of the typical outfits, but I was definitely amused. The overall design of the place was very clean, simple, spacious and modern. One perks of this place is, you get to see the kitchen staff in action. It's an open kitchen with glass panels acting as a barrier between the main sitting area and the kitchen. Here's two videos I recorded while I was there.





Did anyone catch any of the servers with their bunny ears/tails and the butterfly wings? You can clearly see the kitchen from the videos.



So, we obviously ordered the Xiao Long Bao. The skin had the perfect thickness, but the flavor of the meat inside wasn't awesome. However, it has the most liquid inside than any other Xiao Long Bao I have ever tasted.



I had to order this Fried Mantou, it's one of my favorites. The outer texture is definitely crispy and crunchy. However, the inside just didn't taste like a regular mantou. It was so light and fluffy, but usually it's firmer than that and it has a real distinct flavor and taste to it. It's still tasty, though.



This was the Beef Wrap. The wraps are Green Onion flat bread/pancake. Overall, this was a good dish minus the scallions inside. It's just a personal preference and I happen to dislike eating raw scallions. It was lacking a bit of sauce, though.



Now this dish was interesting. If anyone ever decides to order this Pan Fried Steamed Pork Dumpling, I suggest poking at it when it arrives. It's like poking a light and fluffy sponge like bun. It's been nicely pan fried as you can see from the lovely color on it. The filling is basically the same as what you get in the Xiao Long Bao and they used a bit too much oil to pan fry it.

We also ordered the Pork Pot Stickers, but I forgot to take a picture. I'll remember to next time.

At the end of the meal, you get this cold refreshing teaser drink that comes in their own paper mini cup. I can't quite figure out what exactly I was actually drinking, but it was good. I'm calling it quits for today, there will be another post tomorrow. It'll be short, I promise.



Location:

Dinesty Chinese Restaurant
160 - 8111 Ackroyd Road
Richmond, BC
V6X 3K1
1-604-303-7772

No comments: